Blog / How to apply Australian student visa

How to apply Australian student visa

Font, Grass, Technology, Astronomical object, Circle, Graphics, Brand, Logo, Science, Graphic design

One of the biggest concerns of those interested in studying in Australia is “applying for a student visa”. Many students often have questions about what documents are needed for applying, how much money is required in the account, and can they have a part-time job during studying? Let’s see the answers for these questions.

Is it hard to apply an Australian student visa?

Currently, the student visa application process has changed from the Student Visa 500 to an ONLINE SERVICE which is available 24/7 through the ImmiAccount website.

You can apply for a student visa 90 days before the semester starts so you should be well-prepared to submit your visa early or at least 6 weeks before the course start date. If you are unsure of what documents you should prepare and how to apply for an Australia student, contact us and speak to our experts to get more information here.

Steps to apply an Australian student visa

study visa

Remark: the prices are subject to change due to the exchange rate, please contact Insight Education Consulting for the latest updates. Add Line: @insightedu or call us 02 236 7222.

List of documents for applying for a student visa

Applying for an Australian student visa has many steps and requires many documents. The Insight team has prepared a list of documents that you need to apply for a student visa below.

Note: students under 18 years old will require additional documents, please contact us for more information. Some applicants may be required to show more documents in addition to those listed below.

Genuine temporary entrant (GTE) or Personal Statement (very important)
The content should includes

  • Your academic and work experience
  • Your reasons to study in Australia
  • Your reasons to choose a course and a university
  • You expectation after graduation
  • Your plans after graduation

your statement should not be over 3-4 pages of A4 and the information provided in the letter must be accurate and true. You must also you must have supporting documents to show if required such as evidence of study.


  • Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) – the document to confirm your registration at a university in Australia. You will receive this after you confirm an offer, pay the deposit and health insurance to the university.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – The health insurance for international students that you can buy from the university where you confirm an offer.
  • Passport – it should cover the duration of studying in Australia or at least valid more than one year before applying for the visa.
  • Certificate of name or surname change registration (if any)
  • Identification card
  • Driver license (if any)
  • Marriage certificate or Divorce certificate (if any)
  • Academic document such as Transcript and Graduation certification
  • English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL (if any)
  • Work experience – Resume/CV (for an applicant who have graduated more than one year and should show the work employment)
  • Travel abroad history in the past 10 years
  • Visa denied history and results of any cases and any countries- (if any)
  • Copies of passport of your family members
  • Financial document (personal account or sponsor) – Bank guarantee and bank statement in the past six months issued by a bank, or annual income certificate from the Revenue Department which is equivalent of AUD$62,222.
  • Documents from financial sponsor:
    – Proof of income source (i.e. work employment certificate)
    – Financial document
    – Copy of passport
    – Registration relationships between applicant and financial sponsor (i.e. birth certificate or house registration)

Financial requirements for a student visa

Your financial documents should cover the tuition fees, living cost and travel expenses according to the following criteria:

  • Tuition fees (up to 1 year)
  • Cost of living (up to 1 year) or AUD$21,041 per year
  • Travel expense: AUD$2,500
  • Proof of annual income which is equivalent of AUD$62,222

Can I have part-time job during studying in Australia?

Those who hold a student visa are allowed to work up to 40 hours per two weeks during the term and can start working only once their course has started.

If you still have some questions or worries, for example:

  • How to start writing the GTE?
  • How to prepare all your documents for applying?
  • Can my relatives be my sponsor?
  • You don’t know how to do a student visa application
  • What health check-ups do you need?
  • Where can you scan your fingerprints?

Why not ask Australian education experts? Contact Insight Education Consulting today. We are happy to help you get through these steps from providing you the information and advice, coordinating with the universities, supporting you on applying for a student visa and preparing you before travelling to Australia.

Our services are completely “free” of charge.

Line: @insightedu
Tel. 02 236 7222
Submit our online form here – our experts will contact back directly

Follow us