What study Sports Related subjects?
Sport is big business in our world, and sport and exercise are key areas of a healthy lifestyle. There are many different degrees and career opportunities available in the general area of sports and exercise. The kinds of degrees cover a broad range of areas both ‘on and off the field’ from the sports business, high performance sports, coaching, sport development, to sport and exercise science or sport and physical education. They can generally be split into two categories:
- Sports Science in which a key part of sports related courses is learning about how a healthy body works, how to optimize movement, exercise, and its relationship to health. These include looking at high performance sports and related subjects such as nutrition and sports psychology.
- Sports Management which are more related to the business aspects of professional sport such as management, marketing, and promotion.
Here are some examples of sports-related programs in Australia:
Bachelor’s degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education (Honours) – The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences (Honours) – The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Exercise and Sport Science) – The University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science – Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science Sports Science, Exercise and Health (Double Major) – The University of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Management – University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
- Bachelor in Sport Coaching and Development – La Trobe University
- Bachelor of Sport Development – Griffith University
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science – Curtin University
- Bachelor of Physical Activity and Health Science – Australian Catholic University
- Bachelor of Business (Sport Management) – University of Canberra
- Bachelor of Exercise and Sport Science – University of Newcastle Australia
Master’s degree programmes:
- Master of Sports Coaching – The University of Queensland
- Master of High Performance Sport – Australian Catholic University
- Master of Strength and Conditioning – University of Canberra
- Master in Sport Management – La Trobe University
- Master of Applied Sports Science – Deakin University
- Master of Exercise Physiology – The University of Sydney
- Master of Musculoskeletal and Sports Physiotherapy – Griffith University
- Master of Health Science (specialisation in Exercise and Health) – The University of Western Australia
- Master in Sport Management – – University of Technology Sydney (UTS)
Top ranked Australian Universities for Sports Science
According to QS World University Subject Rankings by Subject 2021
- The University of Queensland – No.2 in the world
- The University of Sydney – No.3 in the world
- Deakin University – No.6 in the world
- The University of Melbourne – No.7 in the world
- Griffith University – No.24 in the world
- The University of Western Australia – No. 28 in the world
- University of Technology Sydney – No.29 in the world
- Victoria University – No.33 in the world
- La Trobe University – No.37 in the world
- UNSW Sydney -No.37 in the world
What kind of career can I expect from Sport Science or Sport Management?
There are a wide range of careers in sports related industries, and this has been seen as a growing area, and whether your goal is to become a fitness specialist, professional sports manager, or work with professional athletes through a range of associated support professionals in nutrition, conditioning, or psychology then there are university degrees that can lead down this path.
Also remember if you are more into the professional sports industry then this is a kind of business and like other businesses the industry needs accountants and financial managers, commercial managers, legal experts, marketing and increasingly data scientists and analysts.
Interested in studying in Sport Science, Sport Management or Sport-related subject in Australia? Contact Insight Education Consulting to get more information and free counselling on your study options.
Tel. 086 378 6079
Fill out our online form here – our expert will get back to you directly.